Friday, September 17, 2010

September rain and new route

This is definitely the worst September I ever experienced in the Bow Valley. It just keeps on raining and snowing with now high pressure system in sight. After a mediocre spring and a even worse summer everyone thought we deserve a nice September, but it ain't gonna happen. Considering the bad conditions I actually did pretty well so far this month. I got the majority of my home reno's done, climbed "Diamonds on the inside" and "Fresh Prince", and even drilled a new line up at the Lookout. After spending 4 brutal cleaning sessions 3 hours each on it, I thought it was time to give it a lead burn. To my surprise I was able to red point it first go and I think it is one of the best lines in this grade at the Lookout (I might be a bit biased with my opinion though). Sure, it's still a bit dirty and some of the holds or footsteps out of cleaning range might break, but it will clean up nicely with more traffic. 36m long, 16 bolts, power endurance climbing on mainly good holds, and feels like a 7c (+/-) to me. I named the route "burn to shine" after a (not so much known) Ben Harper song, to stick with the Greg Toss theme of nearby routes and to honor this great artist.

No comments: